Saturday 8 June 2013

Spain - Conil la Frontera

Day 19 - Wednesday 15 May, Conil la Frontera, Spain

As we were having a rest day in Conil, we had a slightly later start, but did justice to the breakfast laid on. I'd packed my trunk and goggles and had hoped to get some swimming in somewhere on the trip but the weather was overcast, windy and a quite cool so I decided to spend most of the day chilling out in the hotel whilst catching up on the blog and emailing people. Badger, who is one of nature's twitchers decided to go for a ride - possibly as far as Cordoba and back and went off at about 10am. I spent the morning with the laptop and caught up with a few people via email, Facebook and Skype.

Chilling Out In My Hotel Room

Chilling Out In My Hotel Room

I decided to go out for an explore and some lunch about 2pm. The place was fairly quiet, at this time of year it's mainly Germans and Scandinavians in Conil, but they had had a rotten spring and visitor numbers were well down. I didn't see a huge amount of the town, but what I saw I liked and like many places in Adalucia has a strong Moorish influence - it's a holiday resort but still retains its own character and certainly hasn't been invaded by booze-swilling Brits. I wouldn't mind going for a week or so in June sometime. On my way back to the hotel I dumped into Badger who'd given up on Cordoba as being just too far and had been to Cadiz instead.

Conil la Frontera

Conil la Frontera Conil la Frontera Conil la Frontera

We went back at the hotel, spent the rest of the day relaxing and decided to go out for Tapas for a change. We found a Tapas place in a side street and got in just in time to watch Chelsea on the box in the Europa League Final. Badger is not really that interested in football being a Rugby Union fan, but he is nominally a Blues fan so we cheered then on against Benfica - the rest of the bar were either German or Spanish and were supporting Benfica. Despite Benfica being the better technical team and dominating possession, Chelsea defended well and took their chances and deservedly won. Badger had a celebratory cheer as the final whistle blew and we ended up discussing the finer points of the game with some Germans in the bar. We had a final celebratory glass of wine and headed back to the hotel in high spirits.

Day Summary

Day - 19
Miles Covered in Day 0.
Miles Covered in Trip 2930 approx.

No comments:

Post a Comment